Wednesday, June 29, 2016

All About the Bread

by Yolanda Chang
I miss meat!

During my past week in Cagli, my diet has been mostly pasta, pizza, panini, and pastries, which all contained large amount of carbs. I think Italians have their own dietetic culture which I'm still not accustomed to. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy the Italian food; however, I really wanted to have a piece of delicious medium-rare steak.

Luckily, Grill Fest happened over the weekend. This was an amazing two-day “meat adventure.” It had many kinds of food options for locals and tourists. Therefore, the fest was my best opportunity to have something different than Italian cuisine. I so looked forward to the start of the event. Around six p.m. on Saturday, vendors were setting up their stalls with amazing speed. All of Cagli smelled like summer, happiness, and smoke. And I was starving!

I walked around the festival with other classmates to see what we wanted to try. All the food smelled incredible. I could feel my mouth was getting watery. I finally decided to try EVERYTHING! I basically tasted all the food sold in Grill Fest. I know that sounds crazy. But I didn’t know when I would be able to have bacon, kebabs, or steak. again before I returned to the U.S.A. What fascinated me was although I was having dishes from different cultures, I still saw Ciabatta on the sides of every dish. Italians really love their bread.

I was full but satisfied after my meat adventure. It was not only about missing meat; it was about missing home. Without a doubt, I have found my stay in Cagli wonderful. Nevertheless, I miss the food, my friends, and my life in America.